Monday, September 7, 2015

Change can be Good

Dear Reader,

          Sometimes change is really hard. When society or lives change it can be really uncomfortable and a lot of times we resist the changes being made. But there are times in life when it is important to make changes and there are times when making a change can bring you joy. There a lot of ways that you can make changes in your life and one way is shaving your head.
Do you see the mix of terror and excitement in my eyes?
          As many of you I occasionally have trouble with my hair. My hair is very thin and fine, but I have a ton of it. I've been known to give myself the occasional trim but I have never used clippers before, because my hair has always been fairly long and I've never had any reason to shave someones head. I always just end up throwing it in a slicked back ponytail and calling it good. Since arriving in Germany I have struggled with my hair even more than usual, because the humidity is making it go crazy and the little pieces at the front of my head refuse to stay down. But of course I, Alexis the professional problem solver, found a brilliant solution.
          Tate texted the Elders from church in the local branch and asked them if they had clippers we could borrow. Good news! They did! After church on Sunday they gave us the clippers saying that they only had really short guards. But we were okay with that because the look we had planned requires more of a lack of hair than an abundance of hair. Its pretty rock star looking actually. We asked the Hostess to borrow a pair of scissors as well and she only had very dull scissors that are totally wrong for cutting hair but they still worked.
          Obviously I was super nervous because I had no idea what I was doing. But Tate assured me that I would do fine, and if I didn't that was okay because we have lots of hats and it will eventually grow back. She was right. I actually did do fine. It looks pretty cool and I have learned something very important about myself. I am very good at cutting other people's hair.
          Don't worry you guys. Tate loves her new haircut and I found my own solution to my hair problem that I call 'lots and lots of braids' and no shaving.
          Some actresses are coming to stay in the house tonight. I think they'll like Tate's new haircut. While they are here I am going to be staying in my temporary room for one more night. This morning I moved my things into my permanent room across the hall, but since the actress are coming tonight I am taking the pull out bed in the office again tonight so that they can all sleep in the same vicinity. There are two beds in the attic and the ladder to the attic is in my room so the Hostess thinks we should let them all stay in that space. I personally agree, because it would be a little awkward to have three German actresses traipsing through my bedroom and gabbing all night while I'm trying to sleep. Plus it's only for one more night.
           But I am looking forward to the change of scenery tomorrow. It might be a bit hard to get comfortable again after spending my first week in the office, but sometimes change is good. For example a real bed instead of a pull out bed, or making a list of things I have to do every single day so that I am spending my time here productively. Speaking of which, I have a chapter of a novel to finish writing. Talk to you guys again soon.

     Love Always,
           The Wanderess

No comments:

Post a Comment