Thursday, August 27, 2015

Wanderess

Dear Reader,

          I am not much of a blogger. I've tried to do blogs before and I was never all that successful. That's because blogging is like journaling and nothing all that exciting had ever happened to me.
For those who don't know me very well I was born and raised in Las Vegas, Nevada. Before you ask, I didn't live in a hotel, my mother is not a cocktail waitress, and my dad is not a blackjack dealer. I grew up in a regular LDS family. I lived in a house, in a neighborhood called the Orchards, nestled up against the bottom of Sunrise mountain. My mom is an interior designer and my dad is a jack of all trades (DJ, Salesman, Audio Visual designer, etc.).
          I've had a blessed life in Las Vegas. I've been loved there and had plenty of comforts and privileges allotted to me.  But in my heart all I've ever wanted was an adventure. Instead of being comforted by the mountains surrounding the Las Vegas valley, I grew to feel trapped by them. Instead of seeing the view of the Strip as a reminder of home, I began to think of it as a place invented by Nevadans so that they could temporarily forget all about Nevada. Instead of being grateful at the lack of cold in the winter, I became bitter toward the constant dry heat.
          I blamed Las Vegas for keeping me safe and sound, from preventing my adventures. I turned toward the constant wandering that I could only experience in my overly fanciful mind for a source of entertainment. I became a deliriously daydreaming, whimsically wandering, avidly adventuring, story teller.
          Even as a child I made up fantastical stories to describe better and more exciting lives for myself and everyone I knew. In my imagination my mother comes from an ancient line of witches and my father was once viking who broke off from his family to live a life of piracy on his own. I have a fairy godmother who's husband and children are time traveling vampire slayers. My neighbors up the street are the friendly vegetarian vampires. And as I got older that story telling turned into an aspiration for novel writing. I take every opportunity that comes my way to get out of Las Vegas, even for a short amount of time. And everywhere I go I tell stories.
          In Las Vegas, I am the Supreme Overlord of the Universe, a being that was born in a small country off the coast of somewhere who is destined to rule the universe and bring balance to all its people.
          On the east coast visiting my cousins, I am a grown up who once flew to Neverland with Peter Pan and fought Captain Hook by his side. In Utah at college, I am the reincarnation of Maid Marian searching for Robin Hood, before the evil Sheriff of Nottingham can find him. In London, I was the queen and my traveling companions were members of my royal court. On a train between England and Scotland, I was a witch who could read people's futures in their palms and heal them with herbal potions. In Edinburgh, I was Lucy Westenra from Dracula, a silly woman with multiple suitors who is doomed to become a Vampire. In Paris and Versailles, I was a french royal who was disguised to blend in with my subjects and was attacked by Gypsies.
          Now, in reality, I am going on the adventure of a lifetime. I am moving to Germany for three months. I'm going to live with my cousin Tate. While I'm there, I am going to be working on my novels, but I've also decided to start this blog, which is going to be a blend of the fictions in my mind, the nonfiction that I'm living, and also updates on how I'm personally progressing in my goals.
          I hope that any of you with an interest in what I am seeing and experiencing will keep up with my blog and though I will miss all of you, I promise to return to you with stories of my grand adventures and the inspiring characters I meet along the way.

     Love Always,
          The Wanderess

2 comments:

  1. "We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." T.S. Eliot

    I'm excited to hear about your discoveries.

    Derk

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Life is either a great adventure or nothing." Helen Keller

    I am so glad you're making ilife a great adventure. I will miss and always love you.

    Your Dad

    ReplyDelete